People can learn a lot through social media, including sometimes what they're learning in class. This discussion will showcase ideas and innovations incorporating social media and technology into today's modern classroom.
- Moderator: Scott Talan, Assistant Professor, AU School of Communication (@talan) - Scott Talan, MPA, has worked in media, PR, and communications in four distinct fields: TV News, Politics, Nonprofits and Higher Education. Scott worked at the United Nations, Harvard University and the New Mexico Legislature. He recently served as the Director of Communications for the National Association of Schools of Public Affairs. Before news, Talan was as an elected city council member and Mayor of Lafayette, California. His first career was in nonprofit communications working for the March of Dimes. Talan received his Master in Public Administration from Harvard’s Kennedy School of Government, studied broadcast journalism at Stanford after getting his BA from the University of California at Davis.
- Derrick Cogburn, Associate Professor, AU School of International Service (@derrickcogburn) - Derrick Cogburn is Associate Professor of International Relations at the School of International Service at American University. In addition, he is Senior Scientist and Chief Research Director at the School of Information Studies at Syracuse University. His research and teaching includes: global information and communication technology and socio-economic development; institutional mechanisms for global governance of ICTs; transnational policy networks and epistemic communities; and the socio-technical infrastructure for geographically distributed collaboration in knowledge work. Dr. Cogburn directs the Center for Research on Collaboratories and Technology Enhanced Learning Communities (Cotelco), an award-winning social science research collaboratory investigating the social and technical factors that influence geographically distributed collaborative knowledge work, particularly between developed and developing countries. Cotelco is an affiliated center of the Burton Blatt Institute, Centers of Innovation on Disability. Cogburn is the immediate past president of the Information Technology and Politics section of APSA, and of the International Communication section of the ISA.
- Sarah Kessler, Mashable (@sarahfkessler) - Sarah Kessler is a reporter at Mashable, a top source for news in social and digital media, technology and web culture. Before joining Mashable in 2010, she was the editor-in-chief of global education magazine Abroad View. Her articles have appeared in Sierra Magazine, Inc. Magazine, CNN.com, and USAToday.com.
- Shannon Mouton, Topaz Consulting (@shannonrenee) - Shannon R. Mouton is a relationship marketing professional, with a passion for utilizing social technology for building business relationships, sharing information, networking and advancing the greater good, with over 20 years of public speaking, marketing and community building experience. Her experiences as director of Alumni Relations at Walden University and as the director of Alumni Education Programs for The George Washington University, combined with her years of political and not-for-profit work have afforded her unique opportunities to build communities where none existed, develop and launch innovative programming and bridge generational, economic and racial divides. Her blog, “Shannon’s blog about marketing, public relations, social technology, entrepreneurship and other things” provides practical information for novices and reminders for the seasoned professional. She serves on numerous boards, including The George Washington Alumni Association and the In Series, a Washington, DC performing arts organization. Her blog, “Shannon Sez So,” examines life's joys, pains and idiosyncrasies. Shannon is a contributor to “Women Grow Business” and is the Washington Redskins contributor to “Gridiron Gals.” She graduated from Mount Vernon College in 1990 and is a proud native Washingtonian. Shannon is the founder of Topaz Consulting, a DC based marketing consultancy with a nationwide portfolio of clients.
- Dr. Raul Pacheco-Vega, President, HB Strategies (@raulpacheco) - Dr. Raul Pacheco-Vega is the President of HB Strategies, a policy and social media consulting studio, and a Lecturer at the University of British Columbia's Department of Political Science. He is also a Vancouver-based independent researcher and up until February 2011 he was the Regional Director for Western Canada for the Canadian Institute for Environmental Policy (CIELAP). Dr. Pacheco-Vega has conducted research in environmental politics and public policy for over a decade and provides consulting and advice to companies in the field of social media implementation in politics, public policy, higher education and non-profits.
- Jenn Pedde, Community Manager, MSW@USC (@jpedde) - Jenn Pedde is the community manager for MSW@USC, one of the nation's top Social Work graduate programs. She is also the co-founder of the #CmgrChat on Twitter every Wednesday from 2-3pm EST, and it's a vibrant community of community managers. Before life in community management, she was an ESL Teacher for 2.5 years in Seoul, South Korea.
- Ethan Pew, Visiting Assistant Professor, AU Kogod School of Business (@ethanpew) - Ethan Pew is Visiting Assistant Professor of Marketing at American University. He studies financial decision making and teaches courses in Consumer Behavior and Marketing Principles in the Kogod School of Business.