In a catch-up-or-catch-you-later environment, social media's involvement in business is vital. Business is increasingly social, and we'll be joined by some outstanding DC startups who are doing it right. Come join us in discussing how social media can be leveraged by today's generation of business entrepreneurs.
- Moderator: Greg Saperstein, Student, American University (@gsaperstein) - Greg Saperstein is currently a student at American University in their School of Communications. He is expected to graduate in May of 2012. His interests include social media (he is a member of the American University Social Media Club for Education), working on cars, photography, web design, and reading about law enforcement and organized crime. In the future, he hopes to become a police officer in his home state of New Jersey, and upon gaining experience in law enforcement, he wishes to open his own private security firm.
- Andrew Bates, EyeTraffic Media, (@andrewbates) - Andrew Batesis a strategic interactive marketing programs and technology subject matter expert with over a dozen years of web and business technology management and consulting experience. At EyeTraffic, he is responsible for developing and managing client-specific interactive marketing strategies as well as evolving ETM’s new media services. Prior to joining EyeTraffic, Andrew spent two years with internet leader, Network Solutions, developing infrastructure and services for search engine optimization (SEO) and social media, and preparing search marketing strategies for groups like XO Communications, Rosetta Stone, and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Earlier, he served as Director of Sales at Lore Internet Systems, where he managed sales, marketing, and branding efforts. For the last 7 years, Andrew has been an avid member of the Northern Virginia Technology Council (NVTC.org) serving as a founding member of both the Tech Innovations and Social Media Committees. Andrew attended the University of Virginia where he studied social statistics, and is a frequent speaker on the topics of Internet Marketing and Social Media for both businesses and nonprofits.
- Allen Gannett, Splash Networks (@allengannett) - Allen Gannett co-founded Splash Networks, a social education start-up that has been mentioned in TIME, Newsweek, CNN, Mashable, and more. He has appeared in Entrepreneur Magazine, was a cast member on season two of MTV's Movers and Changers, and is a former Wheel of Fortune contestant. He started his first website at age 11, his first business at age 15, and rang the bell of the New York Stock Exchange at 19. Most importantly, he's a big fan of pumpkin pie.
- Chris Golden, Founder, MyImpact (@chrisgolden) - Chris Golden is the Executive Director and co-founder of myImpact.org, an online platform for volunteers to record, share and track their impact. An avid social media user, Chris has served for two years as official Twitter Correspondent for the National Conference on Citizenship andwas selected to join a Twitter delegation to the launch of STS-133, SpaceShuttle Discovery. A native of Coventry, Connecticut, He is a 2010 graduate of AmericanUniversity in Washington, DC where he holds of B.A. in InterdisciplinaryStudies from the School of Public Affairs.
- Peter Lamotte, President, GeniusRocket (@peterlamotte) - Peter LaMotte is President of GeniusRocket, a Curated Crowdsourcing company. The Curated Crowdsourcing model relies upon a vetted community of experienced and professional production companies, writers, and advertising veterans to deliver high quality commercial video content at a fraction of the cost of traditional means. Peter previously worked at Corporate Executive Board, IBM, and Apple. He holds BA in International Business from Rhodes College, and MBA from Vanderbilt University.
- Dr. Gwanhoo Lee, Associate Professor, American University Kogod School of Business - Dr. Gwanhoo Lee is an Associate Professor of Information Technology Management in the Kogod School of Business at the American University, Washington, D.C. He is also the Director of the Center for IT and the Global Economy (CITGE) at the American University in which senior IT executives from the public and private sectors engage in collaborative research programs. Dr. Lee’s research areas include social media and Web 2.0, IT-enabled open collaboration and innovation, project management, software development agility and complexity, distributed software teams, technology adoption, and CIO leadership. In various capacities, he has consulted and worked closely with senior IT executives from numerous organizations including 3M, A.G. Edwards, Amtrak, American Red Cross, Cargill, Computech, CSC Consulting, Department of Health and Human Services, Department of Homeland Security, Deloitte, Federal Aviation Administration, Federal Communications Commission, Freddie Mac, General Motors, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, IBM, LG CNS, Marriott, Medtronic, Northwest Airlines, Pillsbury, Samsung Electronics, Samsung SDS, SAP America, St. Paul Companies, and the World Bank.
- Michael Mayernick, Co-Founder, Spinnakr (@mmayernick) - Michael is the co-founder of Spinnakr, a social media optimization application. He is an active member of the DC startup community, a co-founder of proudlymadeindc.com and a co-organizer of DC Tech Meetup.
- Matt Zimmer (@mattzimmer) - Matt Zimmer has over 20 years experience in technology product definition, launch and marketing. Recently, he has focused on bringing the power and reach of social media to small businesses to generate demand and create presence. He takes a practical approach to producing video, web based and social media campaigns.